HOME POOL SAFETY.
Not all Skimmer Lids were created equal. Many traditional options may miss the mark. But choosing HIDE will give you 100% peace of mind.
THE AUSTRALIAN POOL STANDARD
The backyard pool is a timeless icon of summer fun.
But there is a serious side to owing your backyard dream - pool safety.
In Australia, there is one hard and fast standard which covers the installation of skimmer box lids which absolutely ALL Australian pools and spas must comply with.
It is Australian Standard AS 1926.3 2010 Swimming Pool Safety – Water Reticulation Systems.
The skimmer box is the main suction point of the pool, attached to a very powerful pump. It’s easy for limbs and hair to become trapped, resulting in serious accidents – especially to children. Additionally, without proper ventilation, children can be trapped at the mouth of the skimmer box due to the build-up of pressure. The Australian Standard AS 1926.3 2010 addresses both issues, and requires that all installed skimmer lids meet two conditions to be compliant and pool safe:
SKIMMER LIDS MUST BE CHILD-RESISTANT
Skimmer box lids when installed in the designed position, must be either:
Heavier than 10.2kg (unable to be lifted off vertically with a force less than 100 Newtons)
SKIMMER LIDS MUST HAVE A MINIMUM LEVEL OF VENTILATION
A Skimmer box lid should have a collective total 315mmˆ2 of ventilation holes.
The shape and number of holes can be varied
The correct ventilation minimises risk of children being trapped at the mouth of the skimmer box.
WHAT MAKES HIDE POOL-SAFE?
Unlocking HIDE pool safety is simple... it’s all in the design of the Safety Key!
The HIDE lid cannot be removed manually without the Safety Key – which means it’s 100% child-proof!
Similarly, the HIDE keyhole and clearances allows for ventilation which greatly exceeds the level required by the national safety regulations.
Learn how easy it is to use the key here, and be sure to read our simple instructions for safely opening and closing a HIDE lid.
ALWAYS REMEMBER – the Safety Key must be stored in a secure location, out of reach of children at all times.
THE SUPERIOR CHOICE.
- 100% compliance with AU Pool Safety Standards - total peace of mind for families. It also sits flush, so no tripping hazards.
- The kit provides all a contractor needs to install onsite. It’s a quick, easy job for a professional, so can be fitted affordably.
- Durable, long-life product as the steel frames protect the inlay + surrounds, significantly reducing chipping or breakages and future batch matching headaches. Includes a 10 year warranty!
- The HIDE lid can be matched to existing grout lines, or installed with multiple landscaping materials. It blends seamlessly into your landscape, providing a luxury finish with an almost invisible key hole.
- Many pool owners have opted to upgrade to a HIDE after they experienced problems with traditional skimmer lids options, like those outlined below.
OTHER SKIMMER LIDS CAN LEAVE YOU HIGH + DRY.
Alternative traditional skimmer lid options are unattractive, plus have quality and durability concerns which can cause serious headaches for home-owners and contractors alike. What’s worse, is that many don’t even meet Australian Pool Safety Standards! On a pool journey, you’ll typically encounter two other skimmer lid options:
THE PLASTIC OPTION.
The traditional cheap, plastic lid which needs to be replaced regularly due to sun damage and wear.
- Cheap looking, unattractive finish which detracts from the beauty of the pool-scape ie raised, bulky, quickly discolours in the sun.
- Sun exposure makes the plastic brittle and susceptible to cracks and breakage, requiring replacement.
- The raised lid can be a trip hazard, especially for young children.
- The lid colour can’t be matched to the paving, and grout lines are interrupted.
- Requires regular replacement due to constant load-bearing damage if it is located on a main walkway around the pool.
THE LOOSE STONE/TILE OPTION.
A brittle option which is both unattractive and often short-lived. They usually break quickly, or cause chipping or damage to the surrounding stone.
A loose stone is often NOT compliant or POOL SAFE.
- The finger holes make moving the loose stone difficult without chipping, cracking or breaking the stone itself, or the surrounds.
- The brittle stone is easily damaged and matching new stone to existing stone is difficult, as batches change or are discontinued.
- A contractor has to be recalled, usually at the homeowners expense, to match, cut + fit a new stone (which often remains non-compliant).
- Cheap looking finish with large holes, interrupted grout lines and the stone often doesn’t sit flush with the surrounds creating a tripping hazard.
- Non-compliance issues mean young children are at risk of serious harm. The stone is usually less than 10.2kg in weight, it is loosely fitted, and the finger holes are typically quite large. This means a child can access the skimmer basket, so it does not meet the national skimmer standards.
CAN I REPLACE MY PLASTIC OR LOOSE STONE LID WITH A HIDE?
HIDE skimmer lids (or any HIDE lid!) can usually be easily retrofitted to replace other lid options. In fact, since our launch, many pool owners have opted to upgrade to a HIDE due to ongoing problems with traditional lid types.
HIDE can be retrofitted into landscapes with pavers, tiles, decking or concrete. If using a paver/tile, you will need a spare to insert into the inlay lid. If you don’t have a spare we can help source one that is a close match to your existing tile/pavers.
I WANT A HIDE IN A DIFFERENT SIZE!
Usually your contractor can cut a new recess in your landscape area to retrofit a HIDE in one of our standard sizes. However, if our available size options do not match the recess area for your lid – don’t stress!
HIDE can manufacture custom-sized lids for skimmers, drain and access points. We will happily guide you through the custom manufacturing process.